Overview

Iguazú

The Guarani people were sheltered inside the jungle and the jesuits were expulsed from the continent and the reductions were all abandoned, after 130 years the "Big Water” would have visitors again. Thus, at the beginning of the XX century, another saga began.

1901: arrives a vapor with 22 explorers, they would be the first try to find the legendary Iguazu falls. Only three managed to cross the jungle.

- Victoria Aguirre donated 3000 pesos m / n, to open the first way on Argentine soil to the falls.

- Vapours "España" and "Ibera" brought the first contingent of tourists.

1907: The landscape architect Carlos Thays, made possible the proyect about the Iguazú National Park and the urban area of Puerto Aguirre and also built a little hotel.

1922: Opening of the Iguazú Hotel at the Falls's area. Three years later, recorded in their guest books for the season from May to September: 525 guests.

The hinge of history: The year 1934 marked a before and an after at Puerto Aguirre's life with the creation of Iguazú National Park. Began a proyect for the access to the Garganta del Diablo (Devil's throat) and the catwalks hanging on Salto San Martín.

1937: Under the pen from architect Alejandro Bustillo, is inaugurated the building of the quartermaster of the Iguazú National Park.

1949: Quite an event: with wooden body and capacity for 12 passengers arrive bus Golden Arrow. They were the first from Posadas.

1952: At the place where the three countries converged, was inaugurated the "Hito Tres Fronteras".

1984: UNESCO declares that Iguazú Falls are "Natural Heritage of Humanity".

1985: Inauguration of Tancredo Neves International Bridge. An important door to the neighboring Foz do Iguazu.

1986: Angela Sanchez, "The teacher of the Indians", founded the first school in Fort Mborore Guarani. The same thing she would repeat at 1993 by founding one school for the Yryapú village.

1999: Were enabled the new gateways and also the bridges of the three circuits.

2001: Puerto Iguazú is celebrating its first 100 years. Was inaugurated the new visitor's center in the Falls area.